A quick and simple one here. This is currently our favourite veggie dinner – it is super easy to make, healthy and filling. And you can change up the toppings and sides to make it different each time.
I work to about 1.5 aubergines per person. Cut them lengthways and add to a baking dish with good quality olive oil, crushed garlic, plenty of seasoning (aubergines are spongy and therefore need plenty of help) and chilli flakes. Roast for around 25 minutes at a medium high heat. Then remove from the oven and wrap in foil, leave for a few minutes, this helps them to wilt a little and become silkier and even softer.
I have some top tips for this recipe, and aubergines in general:
- Always always use room temperature aubergines, otherwise they will stay rubbery and won’t breakdown
- Line your baking dish with foil or greaseproof paper. Aubergines are sticky little things and roasted aubergine will weld itself to your favourite dish and be impossible to wash off.
- Wrapping the aubergines as soon as they come out of the oven will allow them to rest and collapse, giving you lovely soft aubergine flesh to eat.
Toppings wise for these we have had several things include:
- Salsa verde & feta cheese
- Pesto & parmesan/vegetarian Parmesan
- Tomato (pasta) sauce and mozzarella (parmagiana style)
- Yoghurt & tahini sauce and crisped chickpeas, Smitten Kitchen Style (in the cookbook)
Other veggie friendly Aubergine recipes:
Sea Spiced Aubergine
Aubergine & Tomato Pasta