I suspect that most of you reading this have a jar of mincemeat languishing in the back of your fridge, not quite enough for a batch of mince pies (which, let’s face it, you’re probably sick of by now) but definitely not something you want to just throw away. Let’s embrace leftovers with a cake!
This fragrant carrot cake with a crackly top is dotted with dried fruit from mincemeat, and spiced with a little cinnamon and caramelly brown sugar. It’s easy to whip up and also makes use of any carrots you may have left from the Christmas dinner shop. Use as much or as little mincemeat as you have, up to 150g will work fine. If your mincemeat is a little on the watery side I’d suggest adding an extra tablespoon of flour.
- 200g unsalted butter, softened
- 200g light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 large carrot, finely grated
- 4 tablespoons of mincemeat (or more, up 150g)
- 200g plain flour
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- Preheat your oven to 170c fan, 180c electric, gas mark 4.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a mixer or using a wooden spoon, until light and creamy.
- Add the eggs one by one, mixing thoroughly.
- Add the vanilla, cinnamon, grated carrot and mincemeat - mix to combine.
- Gently fold in the flour and baking powder until just combined.
- Tip the mixture in to 20cm round loose bottom cake tin
- Bake for 30 - 35 minutes.
- Leave to cool in the tin for about 20 minutes before turning out, dusting with icing sugar and serving. It's lovely with a dollop of yogurt or creme fraiche.